Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summertime in DC


Summer is almost over.. but not quite! I am planning to really take advantage of the last few days of summer before school starts in 2 weeks. Because I have been here over the summer enjoying the heat and the humidity, I’ve tried to get out to see things that I normally can’t get off campus to do.

Some of the highlights:

I have been to several Nationals games this summer that have been really fun- not only are they cheap with your student ID card (the $10 tickets become half off!), but there are plenty of fun things that have also happened near the Nats stadium. I went to a Food Truck Fiesta at the fairgrounds, and this weekend I’m going to a concert after the Nats game Saturday night. It’s easy to get to on metro and a blast! They even sell $5 hats outside so that you can really look like a true Washingtonian.

I have started to explore the culinary streets of DC, starting with Oohs and Ahhs on U Street. This restaurant combines soul food with Southern flair to leave you with a full belly and a happy soul. Along with 5 friends, we managed to try the baked chicken, mac and cheese, collard greens, green beans, fried catfish, grits, sweet tea, and homemade lemonade. Everything was delicious- I recommend asking for half sweet tea half lemonade for a delicious summer drink. I have also been to new restaurants, like Alero and Grillfish, as well as stopping by my favorite joints, Lauriol Plaza for example.

Working right near the Capitol has also allowed me to get out to the museums after work. Jazz in the Sculpture gardens, the Air and Space Museum, and the Botanic Garden for example. The Botanic Garden is my new favorite spot in DC and I recommend it to anyone, even if you are just visiting! As you approach the Capitol from the mall, walk up the right hand side on the block before the Capitol and stop into the Botanic Gardens. You can sit and eat your lunch at the First Lady Fountain, or check out the Hawaii room. They have so many different species of plants it's ridiculous.

And finally being 21, I’ve tried some fun bars. Bier Baron was a stopping point last night for my friend Emma’s birthday, as she is a beer lover who spent her time abroad in Amsterdam. They have over 500 bottled/canned beers, along with around 20 nice options on tap. For $5-$9 beers, I was quite happy to try a new beer and sit around at their cozy wooden tables. They also have a 5-7 PM happy hour special where you can get a draft beer and a burger for $10! They do card right at the entrance because you have to be 21 to go into the tavern, so it’s not an option unless you are of-age.

I’ve also made it my goal to explore more during the school year- hopefully I’ll have the time during my senior year to really take advantage of this city before I begin in the working world.

Happy Wednesday night everyone!
- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment