Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wow, July?!


How did it become.. July!?

Summer has crept up on DC at an alarming rate, with thunderstorms bringing in some cool relief from the 100 degree heat while taking out air conditioning in homes and workplaces in Virginia, Maryland, and DC. The heat index is unlike anything I've ever experienced before- I have never spent a summer outside of Oregon! My obsession with the weather also stems from the current internship position I have.

I am working at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the International Affairs Division. It has been my first experience working for the federal government and I must say that I am enjoying it thus far. Every morning, I am able to watch the Daily Operations Brief on FEMA internal television- which shows the weather patterns across the United States as well as the developing emergency management issues. I have already learned a lot about fire departments, mass care, FEMA organization during a disaster, and diplomacy through the work I've helped out with.

My office is extremely dynamic, and being a paid intern really helps me feel like part of the group. I am doing work that I know is useful and that another employee would be working on without my presence. This is a really important thing to seek out when looking for internships, because at the end, you should be experienced like any one else in the office (to a slightly lower level, but still).

The only hard part about this job so far has been working 8:30am to 5pm daily. I can't believe how tired I have become!! I am slowly getting used to it, but I think working a 40 hour week is a great experience that really symbolizes what it will be like to work in the "real world," whatever that is.

Hope everyone is staying cool!

- Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment