Monday, July 9, 2012

Diversity on the Field

Hey Y'all,

Last week I had a rather typical "THIS is why I go to GW" moment.

After a day of doing good at my marketing internship at GlobalGiving, I jumped on my bike to go play soccer with a group of guys I've been meeting up with since late May. But not until this time had we actually discussed their backgrounds. Below is the breakdown of my pick up soccer team who are all G Dub grads:
  • Wassim is from Lebanon and now works for the International Monetary Fund 
  • Ante is from Serbia and now works for the World Bank 
  • George is from Romania and now works for a financial consultant group 
  • Gianluca is Italian and now works for an clean energy start-up 
  • Mahmoud is Egyptian and now works for the World Bank 
  • Ali is Turkish and has a year left at GW 
  • Fredrick is German and works at Lufthansa 
  • I'm a Nicaraguan who grew up in Texas and I have a year left at GW 
It's powerful to think that we all come from such diverse geographic areas from across the world but that we A) share the fact that we chose GW for undergrad and B) we share a deep passion for soccer. These two drives brought us together as a group and I know that even when I'm not in classes or even on campus I still appreciate what GW has done for me.

All the best,

Oscar

@myworthynotes | oscarn@gwmail.gwu.edu 

No comments:

Post a Comment