Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lunch with Bill Clinton...

Yeah.  That happened.  TO ME!  As a part of my internship, I got to go to a luncheon with William Jefferson Clinton (and 300 other people) in honor of my congresswoman.  Unfortunately, the congresswoman couldn't be there because she had unexpected votes today for H.R. 1586, the Teacher Aid and Medicaid Payments bill.  (Which passed!  Woot!)

I work on the campaign of Congresswoman Nita Lowey from New York's 18th District, which comprises parts of Rockland and Westchester counties.  Some of you may know/remember that I interned in her Congressional office in DC last semester, and that's how I found out about the campaign opportunity.  It's been a fun ride so far, but this was certainly the highlight of the experience.

The interns (all 10 of us) weren't even sure until yesterday that we'd even be *officially* invited, so it was that much more exciting when we all arrived at the country club where the event was held--even if we did have to arrive at 8:30 to set stuff up.

While I didn't get to meet him, I was about 3 feet away, which is cool enough for me.  My one friend stuck his arm out over a bunch of people and somehow finagled a handshake from Bill, and I was super jealous.  However, after that I shook my friend's hand, so by the transitive property I shook Bill Clinton's hand.  I SHOOK BILL CLINTON'S HAND!

Someone passing over this page may just read that line in caps and be enthralled.  Haha, psych.  But he gave a rousing speech that got much applause, a lotta sincere nods, and some laughs!  He mostly talked about how the Dems aren't done yet and let's keep 'em in Congress and Nita's awesome so don't stop voting for her and IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!  Ha.  He didn't actually say that--only in my dreams.

So, I guess those were the highlights.  It was quite an event, and it's one of those things that makes unpaid interning soooooooooo worth it!

I love reader emails!  ShireenS@gwmail.gwu.edu
~~~Shireen

No comments:

Post a Comment