Thursday, August 5, 2010

House Scholar

ON Tuesday I will finally return to DC to start training for my job as a House Scholar in JBKO (named for GW alumna Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis). It has been a great summer here in PA working at the Human Relations Commission and I am excited to return to the nation’s capital. Being home for a summer is a great time to hang out with old friends and spend time with family. I am grateful to have had a break from the hustle and bustle of the city and now I am really read to go to an event, listen to speeches, and network with all of the interns and employees that populate the nation’s capital.

House Scholars, Proctors, and Mentors are the different levels of House Staff that live in the dorms to help the residents (other GW students) transition into college living and academic pursuits. The job lasts one year, and has great benefits like being part of the larger GW community and free housing! House Scholars live in dorms with sophomores, Proctors with freshmen, and Mentors with juniors and seniors. I can’t wait to meet my residents and I hope that I will have a lot to show them.
I can remember as a freshman how helpful my house proctor was in helping me adjust to college life by providing support and suggesting outlets for academic advancement and extracurricular involvement. I hope that I can follow his model.
-Paul Waters

As always, if you have any comments or questions about anything GW feel free to shoot me an email at pwaters@gwmail.gwu.edu or leave a comment. I can’t wait to hear from you!!!

1 comment: